Officials with the Winston-Salem Fire Department have notified Wake Forest University Police officials that a weekend fire in the MainStage Theatre of Scales Fine Arts Center was caused by a short in an electrical circuit attached to an electrical flash box, which was used to create smoke during the scheduled performance of the musical “Into the Woods.” The cost of damages has not been determined.
University Police were alerted to the fire by a fire alarm in the theatre at 5:34 p.m. April 3. The set for the musical and the stage were damaged by fire, water and smoke. No one was hurt in the fire, which took place at a time when the theatre was empty.
The musical, which opened April 2, has been moved to Brendle Recital Hall and will be staged at 7:30 p.m. on April 8, 9 and 10. Tickets for the cancelled April 3, 4 and 7 performances can be exchanged for the April 8, 9 and 10 performances.
Ticket holders may contact the Wake Forest Theatre Box Office in Scales Fine Arts Center for exchanges. The office will be open from noon to 5 p.m. each weekday. The phone number is 336-758-5295.
Starting April 7, any available tickets will go on sale at the box office. Tickets are also expected to be available at the door through the box office.
Categories: University Announcement
Sign up for weekly news highlights.Subscribe